Mamatoto Resource and Birth Centre
Seeking locum midwives for midwife-led birth centre in Trinidad
Mamatoto Resource and Birth Centre, located in Port of Spain Trinidad and Tobago, is seeking qualified midwives for ongoing short-term placements commencing in April 2023. A four-week minimum commitment is required.
Established in 2008, Mamatoto is the only midwife-led freestanding birth centre in the English-speaking Caribbean. A team of local and visiting midwives provides evidence-based antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care. Births are usually attended by a midwife, a midwife assistant, and a doula. Arrangements are in place with backup physicians and hospitals as indicated.
Mamatoto is currently undergoing an expansion of services. Highly-motivated midwives who would like the opportunity to participate in this initiative are invited to apply.
Job description and responsibilities:
● Four weeks on call (time off call negotiable)
● Approximately 2-4 estimated due dates per month
● Labour and birth at Mamatoto; no hospital privileges
● Antenatal, postnatal and newborn care (appointments 3 days per week)
● Midwife meetings once a week
● Expectation to review and revise practice protocols, using ICM and WHO guidelines
● Opportunity to participate in prenatal, lactation, and bereavement education, as well as community outreach
● Possibility to participate in mentorship of students and interns
● Handover to host midwife or incoming locum
As guests of this island and health facility, foreign-trained midwives are expected to conform to local standards with regard to professional schedule, etiquette, and attire.
This is an unpaid position and the locum midwife is responsible for airfare and day-to-day expenses.
Successful applicants will enjoy:
● Airport transfers on arrival and departure
● Accommodations close to the birth centre may be arranged if needed
● Cell phone for work purposes
● Contact information for reliable drivers if needed (at applicant’s expense)
● Cultural immersion and experience providing midwifery care in a unique setting
● Local midwife available at all times for orientation and support
● Administrative staff support on clinic days
● Feedback, evaluation, and professional reference may be provided if appropriate
● Certified/Licensed/Registered Midwife/Nurse Midwife in good standing with home country’s regulatory body
● Trained in newborn resuscitation, CPR, emergency skills for labour and birth
● Suturing and intravenous skills required
● Experience with out-of-hospital birth and referral to hospital an asset
● Experience with water birth an asset
● Fluent in English
● Cover letter and CV
● Certificate of registration
● 2 professional references
● Proof of NRP, CPR, and emergency skills training
● Travel confirmation
● Signed locum contract (to be provided)
● Historic Belmont, Port of Spain, Trinidad
● Close to downtown
● Maracas Bay and other beaches within 1 hour drive (during off-call time only)
● Frequent flights to beautiful sister island of Tobago (during off call time only)
● Vibrant music, entertainment, and art scene
● Markets and botanical gardens nearby
● Year-round tropical climate
Interested applicants must register for one of the information sessions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and preferred date:
March 17, 2023, April 21, 2023, or May 19, 2023. (12-1pm AST)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.