Government of Yukon -> Health & Social Services – Branch Administration (CPS)
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Salary: $121,116 – $140,604 per annum
Closing date: March 29, 2024, or until filled
This is an until-filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
This competition will be used to fill one permanent, full-time position, working 75 hours bi-weekly, as well as any Term, AOC and Casual positions that come up during the life of the Eligibility List.
The model of midwifery care in the Yukon is centred on a group practice of autonomous Registered Midwives (RMs) who will work as employees at the Department of Health and Social Services under the Integrated Health Services Branch. Reporting to the Clinical Manager of Midwifery, RMs will provide prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum and neonatal health care to pregnant Yukoners and their babies.
As salaried employees, RMs are eligible for a full benefits package and a pension plan. The Government of Yukon covers all clinic management and expenses, including Medical Office Assistant support for the Yukon Midwifery Program.
The Yukon Midwifery Program is working to build a collaborative midwifery team with a balanced on-call schedule that prioritizes a work-life balance for all team members. RMs will have access to a variety of leave options and many training and career development opportunities.
The Yukon’s Midwifery Program
The overall goal of the Yukon’s Midwifery Program is to create access to safe, sustainable and person-centred midwifery care while providing care that addresses the social determinants of health. RMs will ensure consistent and high-quality culturally safe, relationship-based midwifery services that contribute to the achievement of optimal maternal and child health outcomes for pregnant Yukoners in their care. RMs will be responsible for maintaining a practice environment that is inclusive, non-discriminatory, and physically, psychologically, and culturally safe.
The new Yukon Midwifery Program will offer integrated midwifery services in line with the Canadian Model of Midwifery care. For the first time, Yukoners will have access to fully funded midwifery care – including choice of birthplace with an RM at home or in the hospital. To ensure this, RMs will be privileged and fully integrated at the Whitehorse General Hospital. The team of four RMs will be fully integrated into the Yukon’s health care system and will work closely with other health and social care providers to ensure pregnant people and their newborns receive high-quality care.
The Yukon Midwifery Program is committed to interprofessional collaboration and has prioritized forming positive relationships with all of those across the health and social system.
RMs will work and live on the traditional land of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and Ta’an Kwäch’än council. Known as the Wilderness City, Whitehorse has the great outdoors at its doorstep – the lifestyles, recreational and cultural options available in the Yukon are world class. Click here for more information on what the Yukon has to offer < https://www.travelyukon.com/en?fbclid=IwAR1eyoCpHA9VSABisy8VjR6yoSIYBNNTyTojc4cVh6DkHQSoEputF6ULuwA > or to learn more about Whitehorse < https://www.whitehorse.ca/home >.
As an RM in the Yukon, you will have the exciting opportunity to support the development of this new program and make a difference in the wellbeing of people living in the Yukon. In addition to the base salary, this position offers:
· overtime and standby pay;
· a generous leave & benefit package;
· yearly reimbursement of Yukon licensing fees.
For more information about this position, please contact Jessica Murphy, a/ Director, Integrated Health Services, at: Jessica.Murphy@yukon.ca
For more information about the recruitment process, please contact Lovejoy Fulton, HR Manager, at: Lovejoy.Fulton@yukon.ca
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
· Bachelor’s degree in Midwifery or assessment through a Prior Learning Experience Assessment (PLEA) program, or an Internationally Education Midwifery Bridging Program (IEMBP) within a Canadian province.
· Recently applied knowledge of evidence-based midwifery theory, practices, techniques, and risk management acquired through work experience as a Registered Midwife.
· Current registration in good standing as a Registered Midwife with a Canadian regulatory authority.
· Demonstrated ability to meet the Yukon Midwifery Licensing requirements.
· Demonstrated Northern, remote or rural experience providing midwifery care is an asset.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
· Ability to collaborate and develop strong relationships with diverse stakeholders, using a variety of approaches, practices, and methodologies.
· Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills, with the ability to assess options and risks as they relate to strategic goals and initiatives, resource management, and clinical practice.
· Ability to research, review, and evaluate current principles and practices to ensure current, evidence-based approaches to clinical practice and programming.
· Ability to apply change management principles to achieve desired outcomes.
· Ability to provide strong clinical oversight with a focus on quality care and service delivery.
· Ability to teach, coach, and mentor others.
· Ability to increase personal effectiveness through self-reflection, lived experience, and ongoing professional development.
Conditions of Employment:
· Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
· Recent TB screening.
· Proof of required degree or certificate.
· Completion of Yukon Midwifery Licensing prior to commencement, and maintenance thereafter.
· Current satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search).
· A minimum of three satisfactory professional references, one of which could be the Chief of Medical Services or Senior Medical Administrator of the organization of most recent employment.
· Prior to commencement, the applicant must sign/accept the terms and conditions of the Yukon Hospital Corporation’s Hospital Act, its Regulations and Bylaws in order to obtain hospital privileges.
· Hospital privileges must be maintained annually as prescribed by the Yukon Hospital Corporation’s Bylaws and Regulations.
· Ability to share 24/7 first and second on-call coverage with the team of Registered Midwives.
· Ability to travel within the territory to support community operations outside of Whitehorse and engage with stakeholders; potential need to attend conferences and workshops both within and outside of the Yukon.
· Relocation for this position may be supported in accordance with the Interview and Relocation Expense Directive.
Learn more about us!
We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment.
To learn more about why the Yukon government is recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, please see the following link: here <http://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-yukon-government>
How to Apply
To apply for the position of Registered Midwife, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: https://yukon.ca/en/employment.
“Committed to Employment Equity”
To apply for this job please visit yukongovernment.hua.hrsmart.com.