Midwives supported 40,939 births in Canada in 2019.
Data on total births from Statistics Canada for the period January 1 to December 31, 2019. Data on midwifery‑led births and number of midwives is from the same time period if available, and if not, from as similar a time period as possible.
- Numbers of Midwives include locum or transient casual midwives.
- Does not include all births attended by Aboriginal midwives.
- BC numbers based on most recent data available from Perinatal Services BC (2019/2020).
- SK and BC numbers may include midwifery‑involved care.
- AB numbers based on most recent data available (2018/2019).
- MB numbers based on 2019/2020 Fiscal Year: Provincial Midwifery Database (PMD) and Discharge Abstract Database (DAD).
- NU numbers based on most recent data available (2018).
- QC numbers based on most recent data available (2018/2019).